“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

8 Hours of Walking

Andrew and I decided to go on a mini adventure on a Sunday afternoon. After three failed attempts at finding a restaurant, we finally settled for Chopt.

Chopt
aka Plutos
This is a pretty large chain in DC. A quick, easy, simple, and healthy bite on a work day. 
Overall: The price is fair, the service is likable, the quantity is satisfying, and the quality is excellent.

Choose your salad combination and they will "chop" and mix it up right in front of you

A large variety of healthy and fresh choices

The menu
You can choose from an established creation or create your own

"Healthy" soda
Definitely not as good as the typical and overly sugary soda

Andrew decided to create his own spinach salad

"Vegetarian Powerhouse Salad in a Wrap"- $8.35
This vegetarian combination had broccoli, edamames, carrots, sunflower seeds, walnuts, craisins, apples, spinach, romaine lettuce, and topped with a simple lemon vinaigrette.
This was OUTSTANDINGLY fresh and delicious. Not only did I feel healthy because the wrap was wheat, but the whole wrap felt very light and satisfying. The combination of nuts, vegetables, and crunchy apples definitely worked so well together. I chose this combination because I've never had edamame in a wrap and I love nuts.

I love this cute round bowl. From a far (and close up), it looks very small. But they definitely fill up the whole container to fill you up. Andrew is over 6 feet with a large appetite and he couldn't even finish. However, Andrew did say that "salad is my weakness". Silly.


Our very long walking adventure begins...

The Holocaust Museum
This is definitely another one of my favorite museums. If you plan to go, definitely go on Sundays because there is this amazing tour guide who gives free tours of the "Propaganda" exhibit. She is so knowledgeable on the history and the background information. Afterwards, grab a passport and begin to explore the museum starting on the 4th floor. 

I love this museum because it is very realistic and active. I really enjoyed watching all the movies, real artifacts, displays, and etc. In many parts, I felt like I was in Disneyland because the creators really tried to make everything interactive with the audience.




After 3 hours at the Holocaust, we decided to check out the Memorials

The Jefferson Memorial
It is located on the outskirts of DC. This was definitely the longest walk ever, but the view is breathtaking

A very Pantheon style architecture

President Jefferson and I

The view from the front of the Jefferson. You can see the White House in between those trees.

After Jefferson, we decided to circulate the lake to reach other memorials. The sun was setting and I was able to capture this picturesque moment

We stumbled upon Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial
This memorial definitely felt more exclusive. It is a very large and serene park

Seems like I am always trying to do a jumping picture

President Roosevelt, his dog, and I
I definitely remember coming here when I was younger and posing at that exact spot. I would definitely want to dig up that old picture and compare how much I have changed.


After a long day, we met up with my roommates for dinner and dessert in Chinatown

Red Velvet Cupcakes
There is a surprisingly a large cupcake population in this city.

A very chic building

Fresh cupcakes

"Hazelnut Cafe"- $3.58
The cupcake is a hazelnut cake with espresso butter cream
I definitely enjoyed the cream because it was creamy and rich. I also liked how the cake had bits of nuts. Overall, it was a decent cupcake- just a bit dry and over priced. 

To fulfill Andrew's sweet tooth, he chose a Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Cupcake
Let's just say he fell madly in love with Ms. Vanilla Bean


Overall, it was a good day and I was not ready for the weekend to be over already.

No comments:

Post a Comment