“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Trick-or-Treat

I'm glad I didn't have work on Friday to be able to explore Embassy row. The hour was inconveniently limited to 2:00 - 5:00 pm, but luckily Jessica and Leo were excited to explore with me. 

Embassy Row Trick-or-Treat
Thank you Kiet for inviting me to this Georgetown University event. This was a very exciting event. Not only did we get candy, but we were able to go into the country's Embassy and learn about their culture. The only disappointment was that they did not hand out any "cultural" goods.


Here is a list of all Embassies that we visited:
Trinidad and Tobago, Botswana, Indonesia, Ireland, Latvia, Haiti, Croatia, Lesotho, Belize, Slovenia, Guatemala


Trinidad & Tobago

Trinidad & Tobago


Botswana

Botswana
Hand-crafted baskets behind Leo

Indonesia
They had a gated property with a grand entrance

Massachusetts Ave- Embassy Row

Egypt

Croatia

This is the Residency of the Ambassador of Turkey
Turkey has about 3-4 buildings throughout Embassy row. 
This was my favorite architectural building- I love the columns, the pantheon design, the delicate designs, and etc


Later that night, my roommates decided to go to the last Food Truck festival of the year


Truckeroo
http://truckeroodc.com/

Not overwhelmingly packed because of the rainy weather

Yellow Vendor (Korean Food)
The nicest and cutest Korean woman took our orders

We only ordered 2 trays of the Kimbap (a special rate of 2 for $7.00), but the nice lady told us to take as many as wanted because they were planning to close early. Our group took about 6 packs total.

The Kimbap was just alright. The rice was a little mushy and there wasn't as much flavors as I wanted. However, the ingredients were fresh and what can beat FREE?!

Andrew ordered the Korean BBQ Beef - $8.00
The portion was generous and he was satisfied

Basil Thyme (Laotian food)

Cynthia and I decided to share the "Drunken Noodles"- $8.00
The portion was satisfying to share

Both our first reactions was positive. There was a generous portion and the flavor was definitely powerful. You can definitely taste the spices and the chili. I found it a little oily and the chicken was a little dry. At the end, Cynthia concluded that it tasted like "a chili paste that my mom uses". Overall, it was good, but nothing fancy or special.

Terry ordered the same EXACT thing. However, he used his Vietnamese language skills and charmed the lady into giving him a side of papaya salad and an egg roll. 
Cynthia definitely didn't think it was fair.

"Dangerous Pie DC": Chocolate Pie- $5.00
After two bites, Lauren was extremely disappointed. She said, "the rich chocolate taste was not there. It was a sad excuse for chocolate pie". I had a small sample and I felt like the chocolate was too dense and not creamy. The crust is usually my favorite part in a pie, but this crust was solid and not flaky. Maybe it would have been better if it was warmed.


Truckeroo took place near the Ball Park, thus the metro ride was longer than normal. I don't think it met my expectations of a Food Truck Festival. I think the Food Trucks at Farragut Park is just as good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment