“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hands on Experience

When I asked one of our professors, "What's good to eat in DC?". His reply was, "DC isn't really known for good food. But we have a lot of good Ethiopian restaurants". I'm glad I finally completed my mission to try Ethiopian food.

Laibela Restaurant 
There are many Ethiopian restaurants on U-Street, but this one was the closest to the Center. 

Ruben and I have never had Ethiopian food before, so this was definitely a treat! 
The waitress was very friendly, attentive, and patient in answering our questions. I was happy that the food came out in a very timely manner. The decor can be described as dark and aged look. However, there is a sign of a lot culture with the flag and other Ethiopian art surrounding the dining room. It is not the nicest looking restaurant, but we came here for the food.

We ordered the Combination Platter with Lamb - $25.00
This combination platter had beef, chicken, the lamb as main course, spinach, corn, cabbage, and hard boiled eggs- all made in their own unique way. I don't have any other experiences to compare to, so I thought it was delicious! I didn't feel that there was a burst of spices and flavors, but it was still a very unique experience. It was inconvenient that we didn't have utensils, but that is just part of the cultural experience. 
Overall, perfect amount for two.

"Injera" bread to go with our meal. I would describe Injera as a soft-spongy-semi moist tortilla/flat bread. 
I have to say it was INTERESTING. By it self, it tasted very bland but a very unique spongy texture. Basically, you grab a small piece of Injera and grab your food with it. It tasted really good with food! However, it becomes soggy and breakable if it sits there too long with the food. 

We also treated ourselves to Honey Ethiopian Wine ($5.00)
It was sweet like moscato, with a small hint of honey. The wine was smooth and refreshing. It is fitting as a dessert, but it paired well with our meal. 
One negative comment would be the flies. It was pretty foul. One even fell into my glass of wine. But the waitress, having the good service that she did, immediately brought me a brand new glass of wine. 

Cheers to good food
Laibela gave us a very good and happy impression of Ethiopian food. Ruben and I were so full and delighted with our experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment