“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tour of the Monuments

I woke up early on a Saturday morning to go on a monument tour for my Art and Architecture class. Every art piece has a sensitive meaning and it was very interesting to learn about the controversies and criticisms that they faced. The weather was very humid and there was much walking involved, but I'm glad I had a historic learning experience.


Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial

People say MLK was a very calm and peaceful man, however this statue made him look like a dictator and very condescending at the audience below him.  Another controversy was the fact that the memorial was created by a Chinese sculptor. Critics believed that an African American should have honored him. 

One criticism that I agreed with were the quotes. At first, I felt that all the quotes sounded very inspirational and meaningful.  But then, I learned that all the quotes were paraphrased and that some were misleading.

MLK faces this beautiful lake overlooking the Jefferson memorial. It is such a lovely and peaceful area. 

Lincoln Memorial

Such a beautiful Greek and Roman design



Vietnam War Memorial

One of the controversies was the black wall to represent the heroes. Many veterans believed that it looks like a giant black scar and did not make the occasion feel heroic. Another controversy was the fact that this memorial only honored those who died in the war and not those who were wounded or scarred emotionally and psychologically. That is why they added these sculptors of soldiers.  

This memorial had the simplest design but it was definitely my favorite. I am amazed at how this simple design can create and change people's moods. At other memorials, the area was filled with laughter and conversations. However, everyone seemed to be more quiet while admiring all the names on the wall. I loved how the walls had a reflective image of myself. It makes me feel like I am apart of the memorial and makes me emotional and thankful that theses brave heroes served our country.


World War II Memorial

The memorial was so grand and beautiful

The design was exceptional! It had a circular foundation with a spectacular fountain and water works in the center



Mitsitam Cafe in the Native American Museum
My roommates and I heard that this museum had the best gourmet cafeteria of all the Smithsonian museums (or any cafeteria for that matter).  It is definitely gourmet. 

A very interesting wavy design. I would not have guessed that it was a Native American Museum


Right outside the famous cafeteria
I am excited to try some Native American food

A very open-spaced interior

So many delicacies to choose from
I liked how all the stations were divided into distinctive regions: Northern Woodlands, South America, Northwest Coast, Mesoamerica, and Great Plains


My entree- $11.85
I decided to go with the Pulled Buffalo Sandwich with a sour coleslaw salad
It was definitely not worth it for the price since the sandwich was only mediocre. I felt that the buffalo was a bit dry and salty. But since the salad was sour, it worked well with the buffalo.  I wish the bun was toasted and that there were more condiments in the sandwich to make my meal feel worth it. Since the buffalo meat was quite juicy, the bun became very soggy. I also felt that the presentation was lacking and messy because my plate was covered with sauce smudges from when the server was preparing my dish. 


Lauren's mini entrees- around $10
She ordered Mushroom Pone, Fry Bread, and Bean salad. Lauren wants to comment that "Get the Fry Bread, ENOUGH said". 

Sarah's entree- about $10
She had the Lamb Birria burrito. I had a little piece and I thought the lamb was too fatty. Another con was that there was a cost for each condiment. 

Lisa's deli salads entree- around $11
She ordered Wild Rice salad, Turnip salad with dried blueberries, and a Smoked Trout salad. Lisa said "I really liked the turnips because they were very spongy and had a mushroom consistency. They all had a little more oil that I would have liked but they add more flavor so what can I do". "I would definitely go back there and take my parents". 

Cynthia's entrees- around $15
She choose: tacos were Lamb Birria, Cream Spinach, and Mushroom Pone (she said it was similar to corn bread). Cynthia said that the pone "tasted thick and jelly but I liked it because I like mushrooms".  She might be small, but she can eat a lot.


Overall: The entrees are definitely not worth it. There were some entrees that were $18-30 each because it contained more delicacies.  However, I liked how they had a variety of deli salads. I definitely suggest that it would be smarter to order a few small deli salads since they are only $3-5 each. I will probably not be back though. 


Super full

Taking a picture with my housemates Lauren and Cynthia
We can now say that we tried Native American cuisine


The afternoon was full of walking but filled with learning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment