“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Historic Ben's Chili

After 1 hour of getting lost and going in circles, my roommates and I finally found this infamous restaurant. 

Ben's Chili Bowl (3 of 5 stars)
They are supposedly famous for their 6 inch chili dog. But we were too afraid to try it. They are also known for their vanilla milkshake. However, they said it wasn't made with real ice cream but with syrup, so I changed my order. Lauren ordered a chocolate milkshake. She said it was creamy and yummy. 

 It is a must go place in DC because it has been around for so long!
It definitely looks like it was once a mom/pop and hole in the wall places. But now, it is a usual for locals and tourists. They are definitely taking advantage of their publicity! They have their own little souvenir store next store

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

You can watch as they grill and prep

All mine
 Chili Dog with mustard, onions, and potato chips- $3.99
I really wished they toasted the bun, it would have made it so much better! The hot dog doesn't look appetizing, but it smelled really good! I've heard people rave about the chili, but I didn't think it was all that special. It didn't have the smokey, spicy flavors usually found in chili. Overall, it was enjoyable.

Cynthia's!
Chili Half-Smoked with mustard, onions, and potato chips- $5.45
The difference between this and the chili dog is that this entree is made with a grilled sausage. Cynthia said she enjoyed it. I think it would be a smarter choice to pick this entree versus the original.

Lauren and Lisa each ordered one.
Veggie Burger with Veggie Chili- $6.35
It looks like it was packed with flavors. I'm impressed that they offer a vegetarian option which makes it so available for everyone!

 Chili Cheese Fries- $5.45
I just had to order one since I was here. The serving size is quite large and I definitely would not have finished without the help of my friends. I enjoyed these fries more than my hot dog. Cheese, chili, and fries are such a great combination. I definitely felt overwhelmed with food afterwards.

 Small Beef Chili with onions - $4.15
After Cynthia finished her Chili Half-Smoked, she was still craving more chili. The servicing size was decent. They also had a vegetarian or beef option. I had a little sample and the chili was definitely more flavorful and spicy. I think this meat chili should have been the hog dog's topping. 

 After a long, humid, and sweaty walk; I was thrilled to devour my meal. I look like a disaster but I'm happy to see my food.

 I hear Obama is a big fan
They have a large blown up and signed picture of him

The venue is very large with two extra rooms in the back for large parties. Although this venue has been around for decades, they still try to maintain the original southern culture.

Verdict: I enjoyed it and it is definitely something to check off a list when you are in Washington DC. However, I'm pretty sure I won't crave it that often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment