“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday night dinner on Taravel St.

I love San Francisco. It is a city filled with so many restaurants with its own flamboyant attitude.
I'm so happy that I am able to make a quick weekend stop to spend time with family and friends before I return to my hometown.  However, I wish I delayed my flight for a later day because now I won't be returning to the bay area till January.

Kingdom of Dumpling (4/5 stars)

Green Onion Pancakes
Xiao Long Bao
Pork & Cabbage Dumplings
Company:  Chow and Annie
Time:  Sunday, July 31, 6:30 pm
Location: 1713 Taraval St, San FranciscoCA 94116
It took me 10 minutes to find parking.  Taravel is a busy street because the bus rails passes through it.  I circled around the neighboring houses and still couldn't find parking.  Luckily I saw an open spot on the street and I dashed towards that meter parking spot.  I must say, my parallel parking skills is really improving (took me less than a minute).  Another plus, it was Sunday so parking was free. 
Type of food:  Chinese
Ambiance:
This is definitely a hole in the wall restaurant and from the outside, I would probably never think about going in.  It has very minimal seating, but people stilled lined up outside on a Sunday evening. The crowd was a nice mixture of young adults and families.
The decor is definitely not appealing.  Plain white walls with crooked frames and awards everywhere.  But what else do you expect from a random hole in the wall Chinese restaurant?
Service:
The boss is definitely an interesting fellow welcoming customers and calling everyone "mei mei" and "shwai gu" (spelling?). The food came out promptly and fresh.  It only took them less than 2 minutes to notice that our teapot was empty too.
Taste:
We had fungus salad, green onion pancakes, 2 baskets of xiao long bao, and pork/cabbage dumplings. 
The portions are a great size and we were definitely tummy satisfied by the end of the meal.  We all enjoyed the orange hot sauce! I'm not sure what it is made out of, but its tasty and spicy.  My favorite was definitely the xiao long bao.  The skin was not too thick and the meat had lots of flavor.  You must be careful to pick it up with your chopsticks or else the soup (best part) inside will spill.
Price:
The total price was roughly $35.  Quite a deal for all the food we ate and how satisfied we were. Thank you Annie for dinner.
Overall: 
My dear big bro has constantly been raving about this dumpling house.  I'm so happy that he came to San Francisco (to visit his lovely girlfriend) and make time to hangout with me.  I'm glad I came and if I ever crave home made dumplings, I will come here!


Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream (4.5/5 stars)

Small: Durian and Sesame Gelato

The menu
Company:  Chow and Annie :]
Time:  Sunday, July 31, 7:30 pm
Location:  1447 Taraval St, San FranciscoCA 94116
2 blocks down from Kingdom of Dumpling
Super close to Abraham Lincoln High School.  Seems like a hot spot for an after school snack.
Type of food:  Dessert- Asian flavored, home-made GELATO
Ambiance:  "Since 1982" says slogan on the window.  It does look like a pretty old creamery.  The red "March Polo" sign does look like it needs a new paint job.  But besides that, what a nice little place to come for dessert.  It is a small little shop, but enough chairs and tables for a big or small crowd.  Surprisingly, no one was there when we got there.  But once we arrived, a line started forming (I guess we bring the crowd)
Service:  A nice young man served us our ice cream.  He doesn't look that excited to scoop gelato, but he was nice enough.
Taste:  I decided on a small- sesame and durian gelato.  The texture was superb- super smooth and creamy. The flavors smell and taste like what they are.  Yep, I like durian flavored ice cream.  
Price:  The price is on the high side, but gelato has always been expensive.  $3.35 for a size small. Thank you Chow for the yummy treat. 
Overall:   Delicious and amazing.  I will definitely come back! I mean, where else can you get yummy and creamy ASIAN flavored gelato?  You should definitely check it out!




What a good night, thank you Chow and Annie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment