“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Fire Bowl

To continue on with my Sunday evening, I decided to catch up with some friends that I haven't seen in a very long time- Daniel and Garrick.
I've known Daniel since our pre-school days when our grandparents would take us to school.  Luckily, he goes to Davis now and I get to see him here and there.
And Garrick, I haven't seen him since I left San Francisco- in the 3rd grade. Pretty crazy that we have stayed in touch- thanks to facebook.

So I thought, we were just going to chill and get a boba, but instead we decided to go to a bar.

Tiki Haven (3.5/5 stars)


FIRE Bowl (taken from their website)
Fire Bowl for 5

Company:  Daniel, Garrick, Simon, Larry
Time: Sunday, July 31, 11:00 pm
Location:  1334 Noriega St., San Francisco, CA 94122
It was a late Sunday evening, so there was plenty of street parking.
Type of food:  Bar
Ambiance:
Like I said before, it was a Sunday night- so the place was not very crowded but there were still people there.  I liked the quiet and chill atmosphere.  It was a nice time to catch up and chat with friends.  

I love the Tiki decor.  There seems to be a lot of "tiki" spirit since the people working there were all wearing leis. We sat in the back where there were two tables and a long bench.  It felt like we were in a private area.  I liked that they had board games for entertainment but it made the environment feel a bit tacky.
Service:  Only 21+ are allowed in.  They checked ID at the door, but it doesn't seem like they are that strict. There were friendly two bartenders who greeted us.  Since it was a slow night, the service was quite fast. They brought out our drink in less than 10 minutes.  
Taste:
The menu has a lengthy list of tropical drinks to match the decor. They even have special deals on the weekdays (check their website).  
Our group decided to settle for the "Fire Bowl" since they are infamous for it and it seems like a good size to share among our group of 5. The Fire Bowl is described as "our signature blended punch made with rum, vodka, and gin with cranberry and your choice of fruit wild berry, pina colada, strawberry, peach, or passion fruit. This drink packs a punch as well. Served in a large volcano tiki bowl with a fiery surprise. Serves 2–4 people."  We decided to go with the passion fruit because it sounded exotic.  It was good, sweet, but I didn't really taste the alcohol.  It looks like cocktail bowls from Tradr Sam's (but their drink is way more intense).  Besides that, it's called FIRE bowl because they light a pineapple at the center of the bowl.  Interesting, but the fire went out after 2 minutes. The bowl looked different and cool, but I could have lived without it.  I rather have a stronger kick.

Price:  As mentioned before, they have weekly specials that seems to be a good deal. The Fire Bowl was $17.  It's a bit pricey for juice and a tad of alcohol.  
Overall:
I would definitely like to come back on a Friday or Saturday because it seems like a fun place to hangout with young adults.  However, even on slow days like Sunday, it seems like a fun place to just chill and relax since there were plenty of empty tables and it wasn't very noisy.  I'm giving it 3.5 out of 5 stars because the cocktail wasn't as infamous as it seems.  Also, I didn't feel the fun bar vibe; but that may change if I decide to come another day.

The boys
Friends since kindergarten

Connect 4

All done

Random funny- $1 Pringles dispenser

Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment