“A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent."

Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Davis Coffee Shops

I feel like this is a helpful chart for all those who don't know what they are ordering!


During finals week, caffeine is essential.  Coffee houses around town are crowded with students studying everywhere; definitely annoying.


After working at the Coffee House as a barista, I have become a coffee addict.  I need my daily lattes in order to function. Even my sister tells me that without coffee, I am the worst company.
I've also learned that Starbucks definitely does not make quality espresso.  Their frappuccinos and other high calorie drinks are definitely delicious.  However, if you try their non-sweetened drinks such as lattes, cappuccinos, plain espresso shot; you will definitely feel the burned and bitter taste.
Also, I apologize to employees at coffee shops that take my orders.  I know I am (now) a picky customer.

Small town Davis definitely has many coffee shops.  Here are my reviews on the non-big-chained coffee houses. They are listed from favorite to least favorite.

1. ASUCD Coffee House
This is an obvious bias.  All baristas are well trained in techniques.  Everything is manual, there is no automatic buttons for anything.
Favorites: Soy Latte, Dirty Chai Latte, ChocoMango (Iced mocha with mango syrup- an invention by Michelle and I)
Tip: The coffee, bakery, and pizza section is open on Saturdays. Not many people seem to know about it. Thus, there are plenty of empty tables.

2. Mishkah's Cafe
Fresh and delicious. One con is that although they relocated to a "bigger" location, the seating area is still very limited. The tables are always occupied with students and professors.
Right when you walk in, you are greeted by a friendly staff.  You immediately smell the strong coffee smell (which I love). The barista make delicious drinks. You can tell if they are good if you look at the foam. The foam should be silky smooth (no bubbles). I love it!
Favorites: Tuxedo, Gingerbread Latte (seasonal), any teas

3. Caffino Inc.
I love that it's a drive thru! Perfect for when I am lazy, which is always. They have so many different sizes, they even have extra large, which looks like a McDonald's super size! Who drinks so much caffeine!?
Favorite: Cinnamon Latte

4. Common Grounds Coffee
I like the decor. It is very modern, comfortable and bright. It is a great place to grab a coffee and study because they have plenty of seating and lots of parking spots available.
Favorite: Salted Caramel Latte

5. Barista Brew Cafe
It is a nice little coffee shop. Their hours are quite random because I tried going at 9pm once and they were closed even though they were suppose to be open. When I went back on a late afternoon, the barista said they close early depending on how busy the day is. It is a little cramped and the lighting is a little dark. They have an extensive menu with specialties of the day.

6. Cloud Forest Cafe
(forgot to take a picture)
They are supposedly known for their delicious panini that I am yet to try. Lots of tables to grab a bite and study.

Favorite: Kahlua white mocha






Final verdict:  I will definitely recommend Mishkah's for its great drinks and nice atmosphere.

So the last coffee shop missing from my collection at Davis is Mocha Joe's.  Expect me right when I return to Davis!


GOOD LUCK WITH FINALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment